One January day, Daniel was almost home when his car started to swerve in the snow. Rather than continue driving through traffic, he pulled off the road to a safe spot and walked twenty minutes home. Early the next morning, he returned to the spot where he’d left the car, but it had been towed to Too Good Auto and Wrecker. A friend took him to Too Good. When he told the owner he wanted to collect his car, the owner told him he had to pay for the tow, a day’s storage, and other expenses. The amount came to $412. Daniel was furious, but he needed his car for work. He paid. Daniel thought Too Good illegally towed his car to make money, but didn’t know where to go from there. So, he went to Courtroom5.
Daniel Takes Courses and Workshops at Courtroom5
- Daniel learns how to analyze his case, identify the issues, and connect elements of a claim to his facts. He knows he has a claim for extortion and conversion.
- Daniel learns to set a goal. He wants to make Too Good pay, and possibly put them out of business. He wants a jury award of actual damages plus $50,000 in punitive damages.
- He learns how to connect his goal to a strategy. His strategy is to avoid common pro se mistakes so he can make it to a jury.
- Daniel finds cases and statutes using the Laws Tool and stores them to use later in motions.
- Using a guided template in the Documents Tool, Daniel writes his complaint with multiple counts.
- After filing his complaint, Daniel uses the Filings Tool to upload it.
- He visits the community for moral support and feedback.
Daniel Runs His Case
- In the complaint, Daniel properly asserts all the elements of each claim.
- He defeats a motion to dismiss his claims and conducts discovery based on a solid analysis of his case.
- In discovery, Daniel finds evidence that Too Good tows cars illegally as a business practice.
- Daniel defeats Too Good’s motion for summary judgment.
- Daniel takes his case to trial and wins. The jury awards the punitive damages he requested.
- Too Good is not out of business but is likely to change its habits.